When you have braces, it’s essential that you brush and floss after every meal in order to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Should you need any help in choosing the correct toothbrush, toothpaste and floss, we can gladly assist you.
To correctly brush your teeth you need to:
- First start by brushing the outside of the teeth using a rotating, vibrating motion.
- Keep brushing in a circular motion and move the brush up and down to clean the gums and braces.
- Depending on your jaw, continue cleaning the outside of your teeth in an angular motion.
- Brush the chewing surfaces of both the upper and lower jaw carefully.
- Finish brushing the inside of the teeth for a complete cleaning.
It is highly recommended you floss at least once a day. First pull the floss under the arch wire, using a threader to facilitate the process if you are experiencing difficulty. Pull the floss up between the teeth and gently move it up and down the side of both teeth. Remember to move it all the way under the gums. Pull the floss out and use a different section of it for the next tooth.
After you finish brushing and flossing, the next step is to rinse thoroughly with water or an antiseptic mouthwash. An antiseptic mouthwash can reduce gum inflammations from orthodontic appliances. Furthermore, mouthwash has significant other benefits including:
- Cleanse Canker Sores
- Improves Breath
- Reduces Mouth Irritations
- Removing Debris and Enables Natural Healing
Our orthodontist will usually recommend antiseptic mouthwashes tailored to your needs and give you clear instructions on how to use it.
A Proxabrush, commonly known as an interdental toothbrush is another tool you will find useful in keeping your teeth and gums clean and healthy. It will also help clean braces effectively since you can reach orthodontic wires and other areas of the brace that are harder to clean.
It is important to use this device with extreme care as to not damage your braces and teeth. If you need any assistance, consult your orthodontist for clean directions on how to use it.